Tom’s career began in the time-honoured tradition of European stonemasons from the Renaissance onward, travelling Britain & Europe to gain experience on various high-profile stone commissions. This journey broadened his grasp of the ancient tradition he had entered & taught him the practical skills needed to bend an intransigent medium to his will.
Tom keeps the ancient craft of working stone alive, perpetuating our great European tradition of stone craft & built heritage, through original sculptural work & historic restoration carving. He has worked on many varied & exciting private/public sculptural commissions & prestigious carving restoration projects, from the V&A’s Renaissance galleries & London’s Royal Albert Hall to St George’s Chapel Windsor, Horace Walpole’s Strawberry Hill Mansions & sir John Soane’s Pitzhanger Manor.
Tom’s work concentrates on the sheer and permanent beauty of form in nature. He aims to express the power and vibrancy of the living world through the tactile mediums of clay, stone & bronze in all their beauty & timeless variety. He often finds himself swimming against the present tide of the conceptual in current art practice.
Reviews & Recommendations
“Tom’s work has achieved an outstanding quality”
Dick Reid OBE Chairman of the Worshipful Company of Masons
“Tom’s work is outstanding, well conceived and beautifully executed. A great talent.”
Simon Gudgeon sculptor.
“Tom is an extremely gifted and dextrous carver & sculptor. Tom is also trustworthy and reliable as an independent craftsman.”
Simon Watney Conservation Cases Recorder at The Church Monuments Society.
- Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust Craft Fair 2010
- Weald & Downland Museum 2010
- The Goring, Craft Scholar Exhibition 2011
- Ferrers Gallery, Craft & Design Magazine Gold Award Winners Exhibition 2012
- Sausmarez Manor Sculpture Festival 2013
- Christie’s Auction House, London 2016
- Bank of England, London 2017
Awards and Prizes
- QEST Scholarship award 2009
- Craft & Design Magazine’s selected ‘Gold Award 2010’
- Awarded membership of the Worshipful Company of Masons 2013
- Awarded membership of the Master Carvers Association 2015